Friday, August 24, 2007

Challenge Card: Snow Blossom

If you have never done a challenge at Splitcoaststampers.com, you must try it. The challenge I worked on yesterday was Sketch Challenge 138 (SC138). I love creating cards based on the sketches, because layouts are one of the hardest things for me to create. It's almost like filling in the blanks, but the truth is that the cards from the sketch challenges all come out looking completely different from each other.

For this card, I used my snow blossom punch first and then centered my scallop circle punch over the hole of the snowflake and punched. I then tapped this piece on my versamark pad and embossed it with iridescent ice embossing powder. This piece was mounted on dimensionals to give it depth.

I have to admit that I love the new designer prints paper from Stampin' Up. I was a slow convert to using patterned papers. I somehow felt it was like cheating using paper instead of stamping a patterned background myself. I also had a fear of using it up and not having any leftover to play with. What I have found though, is that I always end up with leftover paper, even when I use it for make and takes at workshops. It truly is versatile and adds dimension to your cards. For this card, I also stamped the patterned paper with the snowflakes from the snowfall stamp set. I really like how this turned out.

The hardest part of this card was stamping the word "peace" from the Everyday Flexible Phrases stamp set 22 times. A stamp-a-ma-jig is absolutely essential to line these words up properly.



Here is everything* that I used to create this card:
Stamps sets: Snowfall, Everyday Flexible Phrases
Paper: Not Quite Navy CS, Blue Bayou CS, Soft Sky CS, Whisper White CS, Soft Sky DP
Ink: Blue Bayou, Soft Sky, Versamark
Accessories: Turquoise Rhinestone Brad, Iridescent Ice EP, Dimensionals
Tools: Snow Blossom Punch, Scallop Circle Punch, Stamp-a-ma-jig, Sponge Dauber
*all supplies and tools used are from Stampin' Up!

2 comments:

Mandy said...

This card is beautiful! What a great job you did! :)

rockfestqueen said...

I love what you did with the punches on this card. I have both of these punches coming soon and I'm gonna have to give this a try.
Kaye